Posted by Megalith 1:05 PM (CST)
Saturday February 09, 2019
Adding to the potentially growing incidents of vape explosions, the Tarrant County Medical Examiner's office says a man died last month "after a vape pen exploded in his face and severed a major artery." It isn’t known what brand or model of vape pen 24-year-old William Brown was using, but according to some experts, "there were 2,035 e-cigarette explosions and burn injuries in the United States between 2015 and 2017." The most recent was in May, when a Florida man "died after his vape exploded and sent two pieces of shrapnel into his brain."
[Brown's grandmother] said that the battery melted plastic in her car and sent debris flying into her grandson's face and neck. She said that her car was covered in blood, and that her grandson got out of the car to search for help before he was rushed to the hospital. She said he died two days after he was admitted. "When they x-rayed him, they found the stem, the metal embedded to where the blood flows up to the brain," Alice Brown said. "I miss him already, and knowing he won't open that door and come through it ever again is the hardest part."