Posted by alphaatlas 10:49 AM (CST)
Thursday December 06, 2018
24 Amazon warehouse workers have reportedly been hospitalized after a robot accidentally punctured a can of bear repellent. The can contained highly concentrated capsaicin, the same chemical that makes hot sauce hot and pepper spray painful, and reporters say an automated machine ruptured it "after it fell off a shelf." As the Guardian pointed out, Amazon has received criticism for the safety of its warehouse employees before, though in this case, the injuries don't appear to be life threatening.
Amazon said: "All of the impacted employees have been or are expected to be released from hospital within the next 24 hours. The safety of our employees is always our top priority and a full investigation is already under way." The employees were taken to hospital "as a precaution", Amazon said earlier.